Updated January 9, 2022
As variants of Covid-19 continue to come along, the BC Ministry of Health and Ministry of Education continue to adjust. BC is committed to in-person learning for our students for which we are grateful. We continue to follow the guidelines of the Ministry of Education, the BCCDC and WCB to keep our school a safe place for our students and staff, while still allowing for a full program of learning.
School is considered lower risk than some other activities because:
• Schools include a consistent grouping of people.
• Schools have robust illness policies for students and staff.
• Schools can implement effective personal practices that can be consistently reinforced and are followed by most people in the setting (e.g. diligent hand hygiene, respiratory etiquette, etc.).
• Schools can implement a variety of health and safety measures (e.g., enhanced cleaning and disinfecting practices, using outdoor space for learning activities, grouping students and staff in learning groups to limit in-person interactions, implementing staggered schedules, etc.)
We have a comprehensive safety plan, in accordance with all the guidelines for everyone’s safety. In summary, this plan includes:
Stay Home When Sick
- Parents are requested to do a daily health check of their children at home for symptoms.
- If unsure of whether your child should attend school or when to call 8-1-1, use this tool: Daily Health Check (gov.bc.ca).
- Staff will screen themselves for symptoms each morning.
- If a student or staff member begins to show symptoms at school, they will be provided with a mask, and isolated in a spare room (with supervision) until they can be sent home.
- Students should clean their hands before they leave home to take the bus, when they leave school prior to taking the bus, and when they get home.
- Hand hygiene will be required upon entry/exit of the building, when transitioning from area of the school to another, before/after using any shared items, before/after eating and after using the washroom. Sanitation stations are placed at all entrances to the building and in each classroom and common area.
Respiratory & Personal Hygiene
- Cough and sneeze into their elbow, sleeve, or a tissue.
- Throw away used tissues and immediately perform hand hygiene.
- No sharing of food, drinks, or personal items.
- Only personal items that are necessary, should be brought to school (e.g., backpacks, water bottles, reusable food containers)
- Items brought regularly to and from school should be limited to those that can be easily cleaned (e.g. reusable food containers) and/or are considered to be low risk (e.g. clothing, paper, etc.).
Physical Distancing & Minimizing Physical Contact
- Visual reminders for minimizing physical contact provided for students and staff.
- K – Gr 12 students and all staff will wear masks except:
- during high physical exertion
- when eating and drinking; or
- while outdoors
- after conversation with Principal and parents regarding a psychological, behavioural or health condition, or a physical, cognitive, or mental impairment
- Parents and visitors are allowed in the building as needed for educational purposes, with the requirement to wear a mask.
- Bus transportation for students will include a seating chart. All students and driver will wear masks while on the bus.
Cleaning & Disinfection
- Daily cleaning & disinfecting will take place, both in the classrooms and in shared spaces.
Additional details can be found within our Communicable Disease Prevention Policy.
You must be logged in to post a comment.